Defence School Mentor Program
Margaret Hendry School offers the Defence School Mentor (DSM) Program, which provides support to children of Australian Defence Force (ADF) members and their families, particularly during the transition into and out of a school on posting, or during parental absences due to deployment exercises or courses.
The Defence School Mentor (DSM) Program has been made possible through funding by the Defence Member and Family Support (DMFS) Branch to facilitate the best possible educational outcomes for dependants of ADF members and to provide support during absences for service reasons. Defence School Mentor is employed as a member of the school staff and provides a valuable resource to our children, families and community.
The Defence School Mentor is responsible for:
- Assisting children and families to become familiar with the school and its facilities
- Coordinating Welcome and Farewell activities for relocating families
- Providing opportunities for Defence Families to meet other ADF families within the school community
- Providing a safe welcoming environment via Defence club for Defence children to connect
- Supporting the social, emotional and academic wellbeing of Defence children
- Helping children develop self-confidence and resilience
- Providing support to children and families during times of parental absence due to deployment, training and courses.
Most importantly, the Defence School Mentor program provides a friendly point of contact for any assistance Defence Families may need either within the school or within the Defence Member and Family Support (DMFS) Branch.
Defence Kids Club
The Defence Kids Club is held weekly and provides children from Defence and Veteran families an opportunity to meet and enjoy fun activities together along with the DSM. Children enjoy a variety of different activities, including ball games, art & craft, board games, Lego and blocks construction, craft and LOTS OF FUN! If you feel your child could benefit from attending the Defence Kids Club, please encourage them to come along or reach out to our DSM.
Help us support your child/ren
In order to best assist Defence children, it is vital that families keep the school informed of upcoming postings, relocations, deployments, long-term training courses and exercises or any other Defence-related issues that may affect the child so that appropriate support systems can be put into action.
You can contact the DSM at any point throughout your journey with Margrate Hendry School. From the very beginning of your enrolment, all the way through to your departure from the school.
Should you wish to speak to the DSM please email the school at email@example.com.