Cultural Integrity & Indigi Connect
Dear Margaret Hendry Community,
I wanted to say a quick hello and introduce myself; my name is Tikarra Looke, I am a Darug woman from a Wiradjuri family who has grown up on Ngunnawal land. I will be working as the Cultural Integrity Coordinator at Margaret Hendry in Semester 1, 2021. I have a real passion for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander education and helping schools and teachers embed Cultural Integrity across Canberra, I also have a primary school teaching background.
I will be onsite Monday to Friday but also support the other Gungahlin network Indigenous Education Officers so if I am not in the office don’t fret! I will be back. I have an open door and welcome a cuppa and a yarn anytime. This role is a bit different to the IEO role as my main role here is to support staff with the integration and embedment of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and work with our children, families and local community to help ensure that Cultural Integrity is embedded throughout the whole school context. I can do this by:
- Supporting teachers to embed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives across the curriculum including providing advice on curriculum links and resources for use within the classroom.
- Providing advice and leadership to schools on celebrating significant events and milestones for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Facilitating successful student transitions between year levels, between schools and to post school study or work.
- Facilitating schools to build partnerships with local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations.
- Advertise learning opportunities to staff provided by the Directorate and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Section.
- Providing a voice and point of contact for all of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and parents whilst facilitating relationships with the school.
I am easily accessible within the school but can also be reached on:
Phone: 02 6142 2800
I am really looking forward to meeting everyone and becoming a part of the Margaret Hendry community!
Warm Regards, Tikarra Looke
Cultural Integrity Coordinator Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander